Monday, August 22, 2011

Hitting the Presses

I did something today that I haven't in years-- I purchased a fashion magazine. It was a nice, thick special issue that promised to provide more inspiration per dollar than anything else I could find. Every now and again I realize that I haven't checked in with the rest of the world enough to know how the things I'm pursuing would compare to popular opinion. Also, the truth is, I work best with magazines. I'll find a piece of a picture that will spark my imagination, pair it with something else that's been floating around in my brain, and suddenly I've got something new and fun that I'm pretty sure will be fashionable.

But! I certainly wouldn't consider taking out a subscription. I guess I consider myself creatively independent enough to be able to check in a few times a year to find out the prominent palettes and silhouettes, and make it from there on my own. I think I would feel weighted down and overwhelmed if I succumbed to the need to follow everything that's happening every minute with everyone else. Because if I started, I know I'd be that way. This keeps my mind free for new things.

I also caved because fall is coming! After years of school shopping, August is the time that I crave new clothes--and ballpoint pens and bedsets. So in the next few posts, I'll try to finish out my run of summer thoughts, and move into the more luxurious flavors of autumn. I'm thinking maybe harlequin prints, if you want to learn to make them.

liv-cate

No comments: