Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Random Recipes--Making not-so-healthy foods better

Because I'm sure ramen and salad dressing are not on the winners list of what to eat.

Honey Ginger Vegetable Ramen
I know that there’s really no way to get past the fact that those noodles can be extremely bad for you, but at the end of the shopping week, or pay period, you work with what you can. This is of course how I had the opportunity to try this combination.

Add your noodles to the boiling water. Add a cup or so of vegetables (I usually use a frozen broccoli-cauliflower-carrot mix. This is a great way to get rid of what’s in your freezer/fridge/cupboards), boil until they are thawed or softening. Drain. Crack in an egg, returning to a low or medium heat if needed for thorough cooking. Stir in 1/3 of included spice packet, a tsp. of honey, and a small slice of fresh grated gingerroot. Or add what seasonings you will.

Sweet Summer Salad Dressing:
I was surprised to discover how well this one worked. I had a bottle of raspberry vinaigrette that I loved, but it was just a bit too flavorful. Also I was going through something of an applesauce phase, trying it with everything. This one was a winner! And it’s so light, too.

Mix 1 tsp raspberry vinaigrette into ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce. Measurements are approximate; you may alter to taste. Works well served over dark lettuce types with firm, red grapes and plain or honey-coated walnuts.

As alternatives to dressing, there are some fruit/veggie combinations which are so good, I can personally eat them without anything, and that's saying something. Or, of course, everything goes great with cottage cheese. Working with this idea, once for a church event, I wrapped these combinations in romaine lettuce leaves, with a little bit of creamy poppyseed or raspberry vinaigrette. You can do what you will. I used:

Broccoli florets and quartered red grapes
Carrot slivers and sliced strawberries
Chopped gala apples and walnut pieces

Any of these are also amazing thrown into a tortilla with spinach and mozzarella.

Eat up!
liv-cate

1 comment:

LakshmiRP said...

Thanks for visiting Adithi's Amma Sews - Cute Confessions of a Sew Addict. I am glad you found the tutorials hosted on my blog helpful and thank you for such motivating comment. Please do continue your patronage and keep your feedback coming.